Zelensky Issues China Demand After Russia's Latest Deadly Strikes on Kyiv

 


Zelensky urges China to respond after deadly Russian strikes on Kyiv


Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has called on China to react to a new wave of Russian missile and drone strikes that hit Kyiv, killing at least 14 people — including three children — and wounding dozens more.

In a statement posted on X, Zelensky condemned the attacks as Russia’s direct answer to international calls for diplomacy and a ceasefire:


“Russia chooses ballistics instead of the negotiating table. Russia does not fear the consequences of its actions and takes advantage of the fact that part of the world turns a blind eye to murdered children and seeks excuses for Putin.”

Zelensky’s call to China and others


Zelensky specifically urged China — a key strategic partner of Moscow and a major buyer of Russian oil — to take a “principled position” and speak out against the attacks. He also appealed to Hungary, which has maintained closer ties to Russia than most EU states, and pressed for new sanctions against Moscow.

“We expect a reaction from China to what is going on. China has repeatedly called for not expanding the war and for a ceasefire. Yet this is not happening because of Russia,” he said.

China’s position


Beijing has consistently said it opposes escalation in Ukraine and has called for negotiations, but it has stopped short of criticizing Russia directly.


Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said on August 28: “We call on all parties concerned to abide by the three principles of no spillover from the battlefield, no escalation of hostilities, and no fanning the flames. These are essential for de-escalating the situation and creating conditions for a political settlement of the crisis.”

U.S. involvement


Zelensky’s remarks came shortly after his August 18 White House meeting with President Donald Trump, who has been pushing for a diplomatic resolution following his own summit with Vladimir Putin in Alaska. Trump has suggested the possibility of a trilateral meeting between himself, Zelensky, and Putin, though so far no progress has been made.

Trump recently set a two-week timeline to determine whether negotiations can move forward or whether the fighting will intensify further.


The bigger picture


While Russia has signaled openness to “peace talks,” its actions on the battlefield suggest otherwise. Recent intensified airstrikes and frontline advances indicate Moscow is still betting on military gains rather than concessions at the negotiating table.


Zelensky’s message is clear: without stronger global pressure — including from China — Russia will continue to escalate.

Post a Comment

0 Comments